Amazon

Thursday, August 31, 2017

The Aftermath- Getting Back to Normal



It has been a LONG week and still have days to go before the kids go back to school but things are slowly getting back to normal. It has been hard and we aren't dealing with much in comparison to so many. The pictures of the flooding and all the water is hard to see. The news dominates the airways 24/7 with rescues and where the water is still rising days after the rain has stopped. 

We woke on Wednesday morning to the sun rising and it was a wonderful sight here. Days of rain and flooding took a toll on everyone no matter how you were affected. It was a break after it honestly feeling like the days were running together here. My husband asked me Tuesday what day it was and was surprised when I said I was day 5 of all of this. 

Tuesday morning which feels like forever ago, we ventured out some to see our area. We tried our favorite place for breakfast which was closed. We thought we might try to get to our office but it ws flooded out.


We finally stopped at he donut shop to get some donut holes. Even the poor duck just wanted it to be done with it. 


On Wednesday, we heard that more was opening up so we headed out for breakfast, checked our office and heard of a place in need of volunteers so off we went helping out for an hour. So much can be done in just an hour of your time.

After that we had a late lunch and saw that the water hadn't fully receded on the feeder road. 


We also stopped at the grocery store for some stuff. It was stocked as much as they could with the situation. No bread in sight but tons of meat and milk which was good. Employees were doing an awesome job. 

After we got home, the kids decided to play outside to burn energy. Even the neighbor kiddo came out to get out. 

I found my trash can full of water which really shows how much water we had and how lucky we were that we didn't flood. 

My thoughts are with all the people who are dealing with tons of clean up. Some it took just a few hours to rid their homes while others are just starting months of repairs. The news said likely three months before all the flood waters are emptied out of here. 

I don't know who to credit for this but I love this artwork for Houston. 


I have many people ask me from a far how they can help and I have emails out to some people looking at needs that might be. The shelters are filled with supplies now and have started turning donations away because they just don't have the room. As soon as I have one more long term needs known, I will let you all know. 

Thanks for stopping by!

Becky










No comments:

Post a Comment