Amazon

Monday, July 18, 2011

# recipes

Homemade Multiple Bean Soup


I am always looking for good and healthy foods for the family. Plus I am working on losing weight. I recently bought a package from a local farmer’s market store of a variety beans (black beans, split peas, black eye beans, garbanzo, and I am sure others). It was packaged as a soup mix and had instructions on the back. I had most of the stuff on there but decided to experiment some and make my own version. I do that a lot and love to tweak and make things I see my own. I have to say this was so easy and well very good. Even though it is very hot out here in Houston, it was a nice hearty soup that worked well for summer. I think it would be an awesome soup for fall as well.
Here is the super simple recipe and all you need is a few ingredients and a slow cooker.
2 cups of a variety of dry beans (black beans, black eyed peas, split peas, etc)
1lb of smoked sausage (I used a smoked pecan sausage) sliced up
1 cup of baby carrots
1 small onion chopped up
1 can of crushed tomatoes and peppers
Water to fill up the crook pot
1. Rinse your beans and let drain.
2. Pull your crock pot out and add the washed beans, chopped onions, baby carrots, tomatoes, and sausage.
3. Fill the crock pot up with water covering the ingredients.
4. Cook on high for about 3-4 hours and then turn down to low for another 4 hours (total cooking down for 7-8 hours).
5. You made need to add more water during the cooking process. I added about a cup of water when I turned it down.
6. I stirred it about once an hour to get the ingredients together. The longer it cook, the more the beans break down to thicken the soup up.
7. Serve with a scoop of brown rice (optional).
Plus it is not full of stuff and is a good source of protein. I have been doing weight watchers and one serving is about 5 points which make it a filling meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment