Amazon

Thursday, December 29, 2011

# recipes

Leftover Ham Mac and Cheese

I know another post about Mac and Cheese. Actually I had all this left over ham from Christmas and decided to make a traditional mac and cheese and tossed the ham in. My Grandmother use to make awesome baked mac and cheese, so I have worked hard over the years to make mine like hers. I admit I changed it up some with the things I liked and didn't liked. This version is likely the closest to hers with a few twists.

Ingredients

12 oz of elbow noodles 
1/2 of the processed cheese brick (large) or one small brick- cubed
2.5 to 3 cups of Skim Milk
3 tablespoons of flour
3 tablespoons of butter
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
2 cups of cubed ham

1. Bowl your noodles according to the directions. I like to do them about 7 minutes so they are firm and can cook a bit more when I bake it.
2. As the noodles are boiling put the butter and flour in a large sauce pan. Heat over medium heat until the roux is brown and than add about 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups of milk. Stir in and wait till it boils. When it starts to boil, add another half cup of milk.
3. When the sluree mixture is boiling begin adding in the cubed brick cheese. I like to add some in, let that melt and than add more till it is all incorporated. You may need to add another 1/2 cup to 1 cup of milk into the mixture depending on the how thick it is getting.
4. Once all the cheese is melted, turn off the heat and add in the ham. When your noodles are done, drain, and than add that into the pan. Mix ti all together and pour into a greased baking dish.
5. Spread the Panko around the top and than bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. The Panko is my new touch. My grandma liked to actually use big pieces of cubed bread which never toasted enough for me.
6. Enjoy as a main meal or as a side dish. This is also a great item to take to a potluck.

No comments:

Post a Comment