Amazon

Thursday, February 16, 2012

# recipes

Italian Meatloaf

I have made many versions of this over the last year or so. Each time trying something new with it and I think this time was the best. The only thing I would add that I forgot was my green or red pepper. I always like to make a nice family dinner on Sunday nights where we all sit around to discuss the past and coming week. I know it sounds old fashion but these are the things my kids will remember not the new toy we buy them.

This has become a family favorite and this time I used something different which was fat free so it didn't add much in that area but lots of taste. My husband said it was the best one yet so that is a winner. The only thing is my meatloaves are never anything to look at even though I try and try to get something like my grandma use to make.

Ingredients
2lbs of ground beef
3 slices of whole wheat bread cubed
1 egg
1/2 stick of cream cheese soften to room temp
1 can of tomato sauce (the smaller ones)
Diced mushrooms
Diced Red or Green Pepper
1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (Optional)


I mixed everything but the tomato sauce and mozzarella  together in a big bowl. You know got your hands dirty and than formed the meatloaf on a baking sheet. I than added the tomato sauce on top coating it. I than baked it in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 75 minutes. For the last 15 minutes I sprinkled on the mozzarella cheese and let that melt over the top of the meatloaf.

As an added bonus you could use 1 lb of ground beef and 1lb of ground Italian sausage to make the meatloaf. I have made this version as well and it is equally as good.  Though I know sometimes you can or can't find ground Italian sausage (when I don't and need it I just buy links and slice them open).

I also made a side of green bean casserole with it. Green beans are not a favorite vegetable but for some reason in a mixture of cream of mushroom, cream of celery, and cream cheese makes it edible to me.

Ingredients
1 bag of frozen green beans (thicker cut ones)
1 can of cream of mushroom
1 can of cream of celery
1/2 stick of cream cheese soften to room temp.
French Fried Onions

I just mix it all together and  stick it a Pyrex dish. Top with the onions and also bake for 90 minutes at 30 degrees. This is a very saucy version of it and the casserole gets better as it sits so left overs are a plus.

I topped dinner off with our new favorite dessert by Ree Drummond. I made it slightly different this time and cut the sugar by a 1/3 using 2/3 cups instead and not topping it off with a sugar dusting.

We were all stuffed and enjoyed the time together. We try and eat most nights together but Sunday is the vital one that we maintain each week. It is a good way to be a family especially with all the hectic lies we live.


No comments:

Post a Comment